2009-07-13

140 miles in two days

This weekend I raised the bar a little higher.

On Sunday morning, I left home at 7 AM and arrived in Orpington 3 hours an 58 minutes later. That's 72 miles at an average of 18.1 mph.

I was well chuffed with myself, especially since I was able to pace myself and keep a pretty consistent average speed throughout the whole ride, and tackling all the climbs with vigor.

Only needed three Nutrigrain bars and drank 1.5 litres of fluids: a mix of water, fruit juice and a pinch of salt, which helped the fluids being absorbed more quickly.

The weather was hotter than I anticipated, I had my new waterproof overshoes and my compact waterproof jacket in my jersey's pockets, but fortunately I did not need them.

I then set up the paddling pool for Daniele's party in the in-laws back garden and spent the afternoon playing games and eating a lot of indian food!

I was so pleased with the morning's ride that I decided to cycle to work in Maidenhead from Orpington this morning.



I left at 6AM: 67 miles and 3 hours and 45 minutes later I was in the office's carpark, at an average speed of 18 mph.

To say that I was exceptionally pleased with the performance is an understatement.

I am now feeling quite tired and am heading off to bed for a well deserved rest.

Next time, I might even attempt a ton! (i.e. 100 miles)

No comments:

Post a Comment